Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I don't have it all figured out


I’ve been suffering from writer’s block for the last month or so. Originally, I just wanted for something brilliant to strike me, but eventually I just sort of lost interest in blogging. Writing is a lot harder than it looks… especially if you’re doing it for free. Well, luckily for you, I thought of something.

Beliefs are funny. That is, everyone has them but few will admit as much. I remember very distinctly how when I first became a Christian, one of my irreligious friends smugly quipped, “Yeah, you know that’s not true.” It was actually quite uncanny. You see, at that moment my friend had only one worldview: that Christianity was not a viable worldview. That was it. Yet despite such intellectual failings, he believed himself in the right.

I remember another moment when I quoted something Paul said on homosexuality in the Book of Romans. My libertine buddy did not like the Bible’s viewpoint, and angrily shouted that I didn’t know what God thought. As childish as he was acting, you know something? He was partly right. I don’t have the mind of God. That is, I don’t know everything.

Yet I’m the one who is going to take a stand on what’s true in the universe. I’m not just going to sit on the sidelines and be an elitist hipster. I’m going to take the famous wager and bet with my life that God exists. Not because I’m afraid I might be wrong, but because I want to believe that Jesus really did love us so much that he sacrificed himself on a cross. His death is worth living for.

I know atheists and scoffers will delight in seeing me fall from time to time. It will be a justification for their own perversity. But you know what? My faith has already been vindicated… and it’s been vindicated just recently.

An ex-prisoner, who I helped out by driving him to his brother’s funeral, was on the verge of tears as he thanked me for my time. You can’t fake emotions like that. Where are all the “freethinkers” in soup kitchens and nursing homes? They aren’t there. I may not have it all figured out, but I’m throwing in with Jesus. And in so doing, I’m throwing in with the least of these.

We all have to deal with limited amounts of information. We can’t know every “jot and tittle” of the cosmos, but we have to eventually come done on one side of things. Are you going to believe in yourself, or are you going to believe in God?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your honesty. I really like your writings and I appreciate your humility. Lots of people love you and I know you have been helped by your faith. Things are looking up and I like the way you feel, it makes me happy, really happy to see you like smile when you write.

    ReplyDelete