Monday, October 6, 2014

God as Delighted Father


I hiked up a mountain yesterday. By the way, I’m out of shape and 280 pounds. Yeah, it was hard. It was only about two miles the whole way, but to me I was climbing Mount Olympus. I did it though… and I was pretty damned proud. What I must remember is that God is even more proud of me.
You see, God delights in his children. It’s all over the Bible, but where that truth first hit me was in Psalm 18. There, King David details how he was beset on all sides by his foes. He openly admits that they were too strong for him, that he was too weak to fight them. But what does David say next? “But the Lord was my support. He brought me out to a spacious place. He rescued me because He delighted in me.” What a picture of God’s love!
Of course, God doesn’t just delight in me because I climbed a little mountain. He delights in me because I am a son to Him. I’m a child of God. And the crazy thing is, while I remained an enemy of God, He still adored me. That is the power of God’s unfathomable love.
What must be understood is that God is not just God. He is our true father. While I endlessly love my earthly father, he has his failings. He has sinned before me. This is true of all fathers, except One. God is the perfect doting dad. There is no abuse or neglect in God’s sight.
God looks at us and watches our first physical and spiritual steps. He really does delight in every fiber of our soul. This was unconditionally demonstrated at the cross. Remember, you are not a failure… God delights in you! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment