Monday, February 6, 2012

6. Attack on Titan


Wow, I’m only 25 episodes in (that’s all that’s out at the moment) and I can already tell this is one of the all time anime greats. I suppose if I had to label Attack on Titan it would be horror mixed with lots of bloody action. Besides Akira and Berserk, this is as dark as I’ve seen an anime get. In the world of Attack on Titan there are beings in existence fittingly enough called Titans. Titans are giant Neanderthal-like monsters of an unknown origin that eat humans for no perceivable purpose. Humanity, on the brink, fortify themselves behind massive walls where they have lived in relative peace for the last 100 years. That is, until the Titans break in. The story is just gripping, with it centering on the resistance fighters’ struggle against the Titans. There’s a lot of great twists and turns, and I’ve been watching each new episode like it’s crack cocaine. The animation is also fantastic. In fact, it’s probably the most gorgeous anime I have ever seen as everything just looks like a painting in motion. What little CGI there is also looks natural and fluid. Attack on Titan has reinvigorated my love of animation. It even accomplishes the impressive feat of making a rock being put in a hole look epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment